Monday, April 5, 2010

The Question of Significance.....

So I am in my studio in the attic of our house. Sweating bullets. I am working on the watercolor painting that I mentioned, but since the Watercolor GODS still are not speaking to me, this is slooow going. I am at in between spots with a couple abstract acrylics and my question is, "now what?" I look through sketches for what I had tentative thoughts about and came across a few sketches of sea gulls.
We live near the coast so these beach birds abound! I frequently collect old cereal and chips and go out to feed them. While doing this I often sketch and photograph the the birds. I marvel at how they just seem to HANG in the air and think, "This is surely what sparked the Wright brothers!" So I sketch and photograph them and go on with my life. So now. In the studio and in between things, I think. "I know!!!!" I will do one of the sea gull sketches in a decent size pastel!!!! Good Idea! So I take out that new pastel surface that I mentioned earlier and go to work. I get a few more layers on the abstracts, coax and beckoned the Watercolor GODS (to no avail, if you are wondering) and I work on the sea gulls.
So I finish the gulls (I sure say "so" alot. I'll work on that in a different blog) and wonder what is the point?!
What constitutes significant work? While I have NO IDEA of the answer to that question and even wonder if there is any reason to ask....I think the sea gulls may not make it. Oh well. Kittens?

1 comment:

  1. Kittens! Yes always the kittens. Unless you are boiling them, then no kittens. Leave the kittens alone. I dont trust this process. Leave the kittens outs of this. Keep the gulls. All full of poop and stuff. No kittens for you!

    ReplyDelete